It traces the lives of several people, especially those in the Chladek family, and their friends and loves.
- Pete Chladek: a talented but increasingly grumpy and bigoted engineer focused on his job at Hadley-Monroe corporation.
- Karin Chladek: who had a romantic fling with Al Buck in the Grand Canyon, just before her marriage to Pete.
- Crystal Chladek: the oldest daughter who never gets along with Pete, prefers outdoors and sports to engineering.
- Jon Chladek: a near-copy of Pete, focused on becoming an engineer to the exclusion of physical activity or social development; initially with good rapport with his father but increasingly distressed by Pete's anger and parochialism.
- Nanci Chladek: pretty, spoiled younger daughter, more focused on boyfriends and parties than study
|Louise Buck||Al Buck||Karin Johansen||Pete Chladek||Doris Chladek|
|Noah Whittaker||Crystal Chladek||Jon Chladek||Tanisha Blythe||Nanci Chladek|
August 1974 and February 1995 - September 1999
January 1997 - December 1999
The life of Jon Chladek (Crystal's younger brother) and Tanisha Blythe in college and afterwards. Both are isolated from their families by outlook and hopes, and find their support in each other. In their job at Lambdatron, Jon and Tanisha encounter Jennlynn Swift, a fascinating character who gets her own book: Magic Carpet of Bradford Exiles.
December 2000 - December 2001
Myleigh is brilliant, and despite isolation from her family, she achieves honors in scholarship and music. Despite the good friends she finds, she is still lonely. The book shows her from the point of Trey Hartwell, an older student who finds Myleigh intimidating, as well as enticing.
April - May 2001
The life of Nanci Chladek, the pretty but very spoiled younger sister of Crystal.
April 1999 - November 2001
Scooter is a young woman, who lives for the outdoor life. Her friendship with Crystal helps her find adventures, friendship, and the life of her dreams.
February - July 2002
Further adventures of Tanisha and Jon Chladek. While establishing their lives, they learn many things about their families.
October 2001 - February 2002
Randy Clark likes outdoor life and adventure, but his job, a family business, takes all his time. What can he, or his friends, do?
The story of Randy, his family and friends is continued in Hannegan's Cove.
February 2004 - May 2005
Some of the most capable raft guides that Crystal and Al Buck worked with in the Grand Canyon are Michelle Rawson (aka The Alien) and Duane MacRae (son of Jason MacRae of Bradford). This is their story.
May 2002 - August 2005
The Grand Canyon changes lives. Nanci Chladek finds a faith which gives her life new purpose.
August 2005 - May 2007